[tlug] NAS/DNS noob questions

Hi TLUG,
Does anyone know a good DNS troubleshooting tutorial? Something including reverse resolution 'dig' queries?

Background:
We have a problem with our intranet where using filezilla on my Win XP laptop to get files from a remote server gives transfer speeds of 8 MB/s, but getting the same files from the same server using filezilla on a linux box in the Japan office and putting them on the local NAS yields transfer speeds of 1.4 MB/s.

Rationale:
I know the NAS being slow could be the problem, but this thread also seemed related: (We had similar 'filezilla fast, ftp slow' symptoms)
http://serverfault.com/questions/268024/very-slow-ssh-snmp-telnet-network-connections-but-http-sftp-are-fast

Thanks,
Miles