Re: [tlug] WiMax for mobile internet?

On 2013-01-23 16:04 +0900 (Wed), Darren Cook wrote:

> ...as I'm wondering about the practicality
> of replacing a few telecom contracts (*) with a single service (and
> skype). E.g. http://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/

If you're going to go with wireless connectivity, you'll certainly want
to test it at your primary location (presumably your home) and make sure
that you're not in an area with poor connectivity.

Also, in general wireless services have noticeably slower speed and
higher latency than fiber-based services. This is definitely an issue
with on-line gaming and, if you're not patient, large file downloads.
I've not tried it out with things like Hulu, but it's possible there
that such streaming services might have to run at a lower resolution.

That said, many people use a wireless service for all connectivity and
find it just fine.

On 2013-01-23 17:49 +0900 (Wed), Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

> I see [Asahinet] are also offering LTE from NTT/Docomo, does anyone
> have any experience with that?

I use LTE Internet connectivity through my Docomo phone (connected to
my laptop with WiFi) from time to time. (Tethering is free if you have
a packet hodai plan on Docomo LTE.) It's worked just fine fine more and
performance has been acceptable, though it's not as snappy as using
my fibre connection through a WiFi router at home. (In theory, LTE is
faster than WiFi, so the WiFi should be the bottleneck.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.