Re: [tlug] WiMax for mobile internet?

2013/1/23 Darren Cook <darren@example.com>:
>> I'm looking at upgrading my ca. 2009-era Emobile USB dongle to WiMax.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this?
>
> This is a timely topic for me, as I'm wondering about the practicality
> of replacing a few telecom contracts (*) with a single service (and
> skype). E.g. http://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/
>
> I'm not fully following the posts so far, so can anyone recommend a good
> overview article, that describes the terms, pros/cons, etc.

I can't point to any article; anecdotally I recall reading recently that NTT was
reducing the price for new FLETS Hikari connections due to competition from
WiMax/LTE etc., so it does seem to be a practical primary internet option for
some people.

There have actually been a couple of periods where my only domestic internet
has beenEmobile; leaving speed aside, the biggest issue was that the connection
was automatically reset every 6 hours, which is annoying when working on remote
servers or downloading files.

> TIA,
> Darren
>
> *: In case you're interested:
>  1. Softbank data-hodai contract (the 2-year contract is up soon, and I
> do not intend to get a new phone from Softbank, partly because my
> current android phone is good enough, partly that I really, really
> dislike that it is locked and I cannot put in a local SIM when visiting
> another country.)
>  2a. An NTT ADSL Type 2 line
>  2b. A biglobe dedicated IP (None of my clients have required this of me
> for over a year now...)
>  3. A normal NTT phone line
>  (4. Our mansion also has a free internet connection, that I've never
> used, due to it not offering a dedicated IP option, and therefore
> needing the above anyway.)

It sounds like you could cancel 1,2a/2b and 3 and go with LTE or WiMax,
and you'll have your mansion's internet as a backup. It does seem possible to
get a dedicated IP for  LTE / WiMax (very useful should one ever need to
run a server while on the move, I guess ;) )

Ian Barwick