Re: [tlug] memcached / alternatives

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 04:46:38PM +0900, Miles Colman wrote:

> I read a little bit about linux's automatic caching of files that are
> regularly accessed, but it seems to be turned off at my company. At least,
> most of our systems show free memory in the performance monitor (and 'in
> use as cache' shows up there).

The output of 'free' should be ok so show this.
A possible reason for not all memory beeing used for caching is that
fewer amounts of data were read since the last reboot, thus leaving
memory which could potentially also be used for caching unused.

You could forcibly drop the caches if you are interested in seeing
the output of 'free' changing, this will ofcouse result in worse
performance (which might be noticable) until the cache is filled
again.

Christian