[tlug] nihongo nyuuryoku for a gaijin

Folks:

I'm a US cit about to move (back) to Japan after about 20 years. I'm a hardcore linux enthusiast. I've bounced around distros, but generally do all my home computing on Linux or FreeBSD.

One thing that I'm unfamiliar with is nihongo input on a linux system. I've got Japanese on my work laptop working, but was wondering if someone might have some pointers on what the best input system is for inputting Japanese with an American standard keyboard. (FYI, I've got Ubuntu and Linux Mint desktops right now.)

Thanks!  I look forward to attending one of your meetings next month.

Regards,

Bud Roth