Re: [tlug] USB Hub v Power Injector: The Mostly Unimportant Differences

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:47:00 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> jep200404@example.com writes:
>
>  > Do you want to know the mostly unimportant differences?
>
> ... "yes".

This is based on my fading memory of suffering through the USB
spec while developing USB full speed devices,
so the following comes with an "IIRC" caveat.

The (mostly unimportant) differences are in power monitoring
and control.

I am assuming that the I-O Data device is a dumb device, that
it just jams power into the USB device as long as there is AC
power. This power is not monitored or controlled by a USB host.
The I-O Data device can give much more power to a USB device
than the USB spec allows. That's a big important beneficial
difference.

USB hosts are supposed to monitor and control the power to
USB devices. When a device is plugged in, the host is obliged
to supply up to 100 mA. If the device wants to use more than
100 mA, the device may request up to 500 mA. The USB host
may grant or deny requests for more than 100 mA at its own
discretion. Devices are obliged to accept "no" for an answer.
Hosts are supposed to monitor the power actually used,
and are supposed to turn off power to a device
if a device uses more power than it was granted.

I've not seen hosts monitor power actually used by devices
and turn them off for exceeding their allotment, but I did
not do much testing of such when I was messing with USB
development. Sticking in a dumb USB plug just to get more
power is against the spec, but I've never seen it fail,
except perhaps on laptops running on battery power.