Re: [tlug] External DVD drive: LF-P767C-Panasonic: Power From USB Host or Input Jack

I have been using a Pioneer drive for about 4 years. Got it because it
was the lightest and has a physical switch to open the lid (without
power), so I can set the CD to boot a machine.

This is the current model http://kakaku.com/item/K0000043891/
Also a BlueRay version in case you care:http://kakaku.com/item/K0000397477/

I have burnt about 100 CDs/DVDs with no problem, including powered by
laptop on battery). It came with a Y-cable (USB + USB_power) to
connect to 2 USB ports, but I used it only once or twice on some old
laptops.

As I general precaution for USB power problems (on other peripherals)
I use miniUSB power injector from I-O data
http://www.iodata.jp/product/hdd/option/usb-acadp3/

Cheers,
Kalin.