Re: [tlug] offsite backup vault providers in Japan

Howdy Miles,

Although not a Japanese company, you might want to take a look at Autonomy <http://backup.autonomy.co.jp/> (an HP company) which acquired Iron Mountain.

I used Iron Mountain for years in the US, and was quite happy with their service.

All the best,

-- Shaun

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Miles Colman <mcolman@example.com> wrote:
Hi TLUG,

I asked earlier about offsite backup, but it turns out that we have too much data that changes too often for online backups to work.

Does anyone have experience with Japanese companies that speak Japanese and English and provide offsite data storage locations?

I suggested a bank vault, but apparently banks don't like to handle computer media that get swapped in and out regularly.

Thanks,

Miles
Courtesy of a real system admin, our detailed minimum requirements:
>> To achieve this goal, we need to select an offsite storage location.
>> If we're going to use one local to Japan, we need to go through the
>> same procedure we did when we selected the one we use for HQ.  We
>> first need to select a facility for review.  It should be located some
>> distance from the office.  Given the particular concerns in Japan, the
>> following distance recommendations may apply: Hurricane: 85 miles;
>> Volcano: 64 miles; Snow/Sleet/Ice: 56 miles; Tsunami: 45 miles;
>> Earthquake: 43 miles; Flood: 43 miles; Power grid: 36 miles.  We will
>> need to visit the facility, review its security and procedures, and
>> inspect its storage area.  Our media should be kept in a climate-
>> controlled, fireproof vault.  The facility should have documented
>> procedures for what happens in the event of a fire, and information on
>> how long the vault must remain sealed before it can be opened safely.
>> Given our particular concerns in Japan, the facility should have
>> documented procedures for earthquakes and a strength rating to
>> indicate how much load the vault could withstand without impact to its
>> contents.  We will want to know how our media is handled while it is
>> in their possession, how we should tag or label it before shipping it
>> to them so it can be easily entered into their system, how to request
>> it back, whether there are any charges for special or emergency
>> requests and what the procedure for those is, what their policies are
>> on who may make requests and how to authorize those requests, etc.  We
>> will want to inspect their site security - guards, fences, barbed
>> wire, camera surveillance and review procedures, etc.

fixed broadband Internet services to individuals and corporations.
Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

--
  Shaun P. Hughes
  shaunphughes@example.com