Re: [tlug] SSD caching of 10x 10GB files on slow NAS

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:43:32 +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM,  <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:57:55 +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >> 960GB SSD with 1.5GB/s R/W
> >
> > 1.5 Gigabytes/s is smoking! Did you mean 1.5 Gigabits/s?

> Yes, it is smoking:
> http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-pci-express-ssd.html
> 1.5GB/s read, 1.3GB/s write, 230k iops
>
> So, 960GB drive is read into /dev/null in about 11 minutes ...

Wow. That is _seriously_ smoking. Awesome!

I can see how it might be hard for the rest of the computer to
keep up. It'll be interesting to see the output of the following
(with sda modified for the correct drive) when you get around to it.

time dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1M