Re: [tlug] SSD caching of 10x 10GB files on slow NAS

On 2012-12-28 12:30 +0900 (Fri), Miles Colman wrote:

> Thanks Curt! Your point is well taken. The problem is slow random access to
> 10 GB files on the NAS. About 10 to 30 10 GB files will be open at any one
> time.

The number of files open is irrelevant so long as it's not in the
thousands or tens of thousands. What is your working set size? I find
it hard to believe that it's really 300 GB, since accessing each block
in such a working set just once is an hour-long operation on gigbit
Ethernet.

Keeping the application you're using a secret doesn't help much, either.
I'd guessed you were doing video editing, actually, but clearly your
application is nothing at all like that.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.