Re: [tlug] Japanese and Android tablets like the Nexus 7

On 2012-12-26 15:58 +0100 (Wed), Christian Horn wrote:

> I am eyeing http://sparkleshare.org/ for this.
> Uses git/ssh, and one hosts the files for oneself.

This looks like a nice simple solution without some of Dropbox's
drawbacks (and without most of Dropbox's features :-)). You'll want to
watch it when dealing with large amounts of data, though, since two
issues can arise with git:

1. As repos grow behind a few gigabytes, git can become slow. I've got
a 2.2 GiB (bare repo only) photo repo that's working fine, but another
photo repo that's 11 GiB has gotten quite awkward to handle.

2. Git (and I presume sparkleshare) stores a copy of the repo as well
as the contents of the current working copy, and this can nearly
double your storage space. As an example, the working copy of my books
collection is 879 MiB and the bare repo (stored under .git/) is an
additional 738 MiB. On a device with only 14 GiB of storage, that kind
of space usage penalty can add up pretty quickly.

As a side note, from reading the original "I want a pony" document,
it's a mystery to me why they just didn't install TortiseGit on the
designers' machines and be done with it. It not only would have saved a
lot of coding, but would also have been easier for the designers to use,
after taking a little bit of time to learn it. This really smells like a
"running in fear from the easy solution" kind of thing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.