[tlug] iBus: It's like deja-vu all over again

I have spent nearly four weeks solving several self-inflicted problems with my desktop.  After accidentally removing my KDE desktop -- a stupid move which I have discovered I am not alone in doing -- it seems to be the standard result when attempting to remove VirtualBox 4.2.4 from your system via the command line. After trying out several new alternative OSes which accept a KDE desktop, I have arrived at Linux Mint 14RC, which allows me to keep Ubuntu-type commands and accepts my saved KDE desktop ... with not more than a few problems.  The big one was that all of my backed up files were installed to my new desktop with ownership switched from my user account to root.

When installing the latest Linux kernel, I received a message that generally stated that there was no explicit support for en_US.UTF-8 was not included.  I wasn't sure whether that was significant information, so I went ahead and completed the install.  When it was done, iBus was gone.

I referred to Lyle Saxon's post of 12/09/2011 08:59 PM and followed the instructions he gave as they've worked well in the past.  However, after installing the required files from Konsole, I input the following, with the indicated response:

# im-switch -s ibus

No system wide default defined just for locale en_US .

Use "all_ALL" quasi-locale and set IM.

update-alternatives: error: alternative /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/ibus for xinput-all_ALL not registered; not setting

 ... which, I think, means I have to do something with the Locale setting?  But, I am not sure what.  Right now, Locale is:

# locale

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

LANGUAGE=

LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_ALL=

But, American English, Japanese, German, and Traditional Chinese were all installed in System Settings -> Locale -> Country/Region & Language -> Language tab.

At present, I completed all of the steps in Saxon-san's post and have a working iBus that has to be started using L Alt + F2 -> ibus setup, which starts the keyboard daemon.  It does not start up automatically and I think the problem may lie in the LANG settings.

Any thoughts?

--
CL