Re: [tlug] Japanese and Android tablets like the Nexus 7

On 17 December 2012 15:33, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> I've been using WWWJDIC and Kanji Recognizer on my phone. The latter
> is great; the former doesn't seem to have an off-line mode, which is
> annoying.

The WWWJDIC is a front-end to the server (it uses the server's
API), so an off-line mode is not really on the cards.

The offline EDICT/KANJIDIC/etc. app many people use is
AEdict. It's not bad, but has two major problems:

- it's not being updated. In particular the dictionary is stuck where it was
nearly two years ago.
- it uses EDICT instead of EDICT2, which means you can get the same
entry several times, and some of the extra information is lost

A friend of mine (who has just moved to Tokyo), is looking at
both these. Hopefully both might be addressed in coming months.

> But the big issue is, I can't seem to figure out how to get Japanese
> input on my Nexus 7 outside of changing the systemn language to
> Japanese. When the system language is English, in the keyboard settings,
> if I change Android Keyboard language to uncheck "Use system language,"
> I can choose from a list of languages, but Japanese isn't there. This is
> incredibly frustrating to me.

I use Simeji on my HTC Desire C. Seems fine.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University