Re: [tlug] Japanese and Android tablets like the Nexus 7

On 12/16/2012 11:11 PM, Christian Horn wrote:

Accessing data:
- over usb: As the Nexus7 does not present itself as usb
   storage device, using 'jmtpfs' turned out to me as the only
   reliable way.  The storage gets mounted as filesystem.
   Not yet packaged for Fedora18 but easy to build.

You can also switch to PTP mode which works out of the box
with most distributions and is much more reliable than MTP
on Linux.

- over wlan: running sshdroid on the tablet and using sshfs
   on a linux system is reliable

If you have root, you can also run Samba and create shares,
access is much faster. There are a few apps that make this easy.
Most popular file manager apps (Astro, ES File Explorer, etc.)
allow you to mount remote shares if you want to grab media
from your NAS, etc.

Applications, Japanese related:
- google translate is amazing: recognizing kanji painted by
   hand, or spoken into the device.

Google Japanese IME is also quite good.

<shameless-plug>
Kanji Recognizer works offline and recognizes handwritten
kanji pretty well as long as you have the basic stroke order
right.
</shameless-plug>

Further applications:
- Mizudrioid (sip, can also do DTMF)

By far the best SIP app is CSipSimple. Nice to your battery
and allows for a lot of customization.

- vlc - playing media

MX Player is the undisputed winner here. VLC is still quite
flaky on Android.

An thing I am missing is an offline map application.  Google
maps does not allow caching of Japan.  Restriging myself to
only 150mb traffic at my last Japan trip did sum up to 400€
with the german phone contract..

Get one of the bMobile prepaid, etc. cards, you can even pick
them up at the airport post office.