Re: [tlug] Linux Web hosting recommendations

On 13 December 2012 00:21, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

> Things change regularly, but currently the Rackspace 512MB server is
> $16/month:
>    http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/public/servers/pricing/

I currently use the Rackspace cloud for edrdg.org. It had been
"Slicehost", but Rackspace took them over.

That $16/mo for 512MB is very attractive, but I found with an
Apache server and a database (postgresql) I really needed 1Gb
or it was paging too much. 1Gb costs $43/mo. Add in bandwidth,
including backups to a friendly site, and it's about $60-65/mo. It's more
if you want  commercial Linux like RedHat (I use Ubuntu.)

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University