Re: [tlug] Linux Web hosting recommendations

2012/12/13 Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com>:
> On 2012-12-12 at 05:43:20, Charles Muller wrote:
>>I am looking for a Linux-based VPS that allows about 40 GB
>>(preferably something in the Debian/Ubuntu family). Location can be
>>here in Japan, as well as in North America or Europe, hopefully in
>>the range of less than $50 a month.
>
> I've been very happy with my Linode (https://www.linode.com/) servers
> that run Debian. They have options that meat your specs and price, and
> have several Linux distros available, including both Debian and Ubuntu.
> You can also build your own distribution and upload it, if the pre-
> existing options don't suit you. They have data centers in all 3 places
> you listed (if you count the UK as Europe, anyway). I have Linodes in
> both of the the Dallas and Tokyo data centers and have never had any
> reliability or other issues. Their e-mail support is very responsive
> too; when i was getting set up i had a lot of questions and they usually
> replied within 15 minutes!
>
> I'm not in any way affiliated with Linode, just a very satisfied
> customer.

I can second that, I needed to set up a server to run a small application with
obscure requirements which were not compatible with our real servers. It's been
running fine (at least no one's complained) for the last 12 months in the Tokyo
data centre. The only slight issue I've encountered is that the instance gets
rebooted every couple of months (there's always a mail with the cryptic
statement "Lassie initiated boot"), so don't anticipate setting any
uptime records.

If you do want something in mainland Europe, I can also recommend Hetzner
( http://www.hetzner.de/en/ ); I've never used their virtual servers but have
been using their rental servers since about 2004.

No affiliation with either, just another satisfied customer.

Ian Lawrence Barwick