Re: [tlug] Linux Web hosting recommendations

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Charles Muller
<acmuller@example.com> wrote:
> I am beginning to get fed up with the web host I am using to run my
> web dictionaries (InMotion), an outfit that is apparently utterly
> incapable of stopping itself from overwriting all of our basic
> configuration files every time they do a security upgrade for their
> cPanel setup (even though we have disconnected from cPanel!).
>
> I am looking for a Linux-based VPS that allows about 40 GB
> (preferably something in the Debian/Ubuntu family). Location can be
> here in Japan, as well as in North America or Europe, hopefully in
> the range of less than $50 a month.

I have been using vr.org for more than a year and I like it. I run
Gentoo, but they have most anything you'll need in terms of OS:
https://www.vr.org/os/

$50/month these days is a lot! Try with $10.
https://www.vr.org/buy-vps/

> Most importantly, what we ideally want is a provider that offers a
> barebones Linux install as an option. We want to be able to install
> our own Apache, Perl, rsync, ssl and BDB, never hit these issues
> with cpanel or any similar junk and get to run only what we want,
> how we want.

It is a fully virtualised environment, it is up to you to install
whatever (Linux) you want.

Kalin.