[tlug] Hacktivists Ghost Shell dump 1.6m log-in details on web

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20677851

"the hacking group accessed some sites by attacking the databases many
companies use to catalogue and curate website content.

With cleverly crafted queries, attackers can make these databases cough
up data they should be concealing."

The BBC wisely realized they couldn't get any more specific without
getting the technical details horribly wrong? But what are they talking
about. What is this "database that companies use to catalogue and curate
website content"?

(I took a look at the Pastebin website, and they sound like typical
anarchists, but I felt like I was jumping in a conversation midway and
didn't actually learn anything useful there.)

Darren