Re: [tlug] EDICT dictionary on Kindle

The key words there are "create a good index". I have no idea what the
options are with Kindle-based publications.

If anyone is thinking of doing one based on the EDICT file, please DO
NOT use the old legacy "EDICT" format - use either the XML format
JMdict or the expanded "EDICT2" format. (I'm considering withdrawing
the old format, or renaming it "edict-legacy", as people are still creating apps
for it, and it's painfully limited. Unfortunately the AEDict developer used it.)

Jim

On 26 November 2012 08:41, Jim Holloway <irvingholloway@example.com> wrote:
> You mentioned that the attempts at building a dictionary were unsuccessful.
> What's the main issue? The EDICT database is freely distributed. I would
> imagine you would need to create a good index and be on your way. You could
> then publish it for free with Amazon's KDP program. I'll look into it as
> well, however, now that Amazon have a proper kindle/ebook store in Japan,
> you would think this is already forthcoming by an established publisher.
>
> -Jim
>

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Jean-Christian Imbeault
> <jc.imbeault@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the information! But I guess I should have been more specific
>> and mentioned I was looking for a dictionary for the Kindle Paperwhite, not
>> the Kindle Fire :)
>>
>> Jc
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Aaron Fellin <fellaaron@example.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are two pretty good ones I've found for Android: Offline
>>> Dictionaries (for when I can't get a signal or am in a different country)
>>> and, of course, the WWWJDIC app.
>>>
>>> You might have to reflash the kindle with cyanogen to make them work, but
>>> it's possible that you can install them using adb. I don't know exactly how
>>> far Amazon has modified Android for the Kindles.

>>> --
>>> fixed broadband Internet services to individuals and corporations.
>>> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/
>>

>> --
>> fixed broadband Internet services to individuals and corporations.
>> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/
>

> --
> fixed broadband Internet services to individuals and corporations.
> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University