Re: [tlug] Making programming easier... or something like that

2012/10/29 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:

> I probably wouldn't use [LISP] in an introduction because our introductory
> students need to learn scripting, which is imperative programming.

I haven't been able to test this, but I find "The Little Schemer"'s
idea of teaching programming as an extension to basic algebra quite
compelling. I'll report back in four or five years how it went with my
son. :)

I can see Atila's point, but I think Curt's assertion that programming
is basically mathematics is pretty hard to argue with--and you know
I'd never pass up a chance to argue with Curt! ;)

If you agree with that assertion, then I think a functional language
makes a lot of sense as a first language. Or possibly something like
Logo, which is more or less an extension of geometry.

OTOH, I can see the benefits of getting the hook in early with
something sexier and visual.

So I guess I'm not of much help, in the end. :)

Cheers,
Josh