[tlug] Mouse trouble

This morning, the torrenting machine, a 2-core AMD homebuilt which runs Xubuntu 12.04 (x64), refused to accept left clicks from my wireless mouse (which has its receiver attached to a PCI USB driver card). I plugged a USB mouse into the system (which uses the USB bridge on the motherboard) and it behaved the same way. I rebooted and can call up any program from the main launcher menu using left click, select items and make changes using left click ... but I cannot save the changes by left clicking the "OK" button nor leave the page by clicking the "X" in the upper right hand corner. In cases where there are multiple buttons at the bottom of the window, all are dead. I can close, but not save changes, by right clicking the program name in the system tray and selecting "Close."

I have tried an Xubuntu 12.04 i386 and x64 live CDs and UBCD's Parted Magic (Slackware) desktop with the same results. When I ran repair boot from Grub, some of the text was replaced by strings of diamonds but _appeared_ to perform repairs. So, I am _assuming_ that the Xubuntu install on my HDD isn't borked and the problem is Something Else, possibly hardware.

As a data point, Xorg would not load, even when manually configured. Xvesa runs automatically, if selected, and is currently running at 1280 x 768, which leaves a very large chunk of black real estate on a 1080I screen. Nothing else is jumping out at me except that a hardware check reported a couple of pre-boot errors and I am scanning the disk in repair mode to eliminate that.

Am I correct in assuming that the problem is Xorg-related? Nvidia BIOS is almost 10 months old and I do not recall seeing updated drivers in the Apper recommended uploads list in several weeks. I am wondering where to go next -- driver upgrade / downgrade, re-flash the BIOS, or getting the disk naked and reinstalling the OS -- or something else? Any recommendations what else to check?

--
CL