Re: [tlug] Making programming easier... or something like that

On 19 October 2012 06:16, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

> Would someone lend me a hand and give me some pointers to stuff
> i could read about programming as a mental work and how people
> learn it? And how does the structure of programming languages
> simplify the task of programming and learning of programming?

My opinion, after many years of trying to introduce programming to
children from ages 9 - 18, using tools  where you write code (such as
kturtle, guido van robot) and tools where you drag blocks around (lego
mindstorms, scratch), is that it makes no difference how much more
colourful and "fun" your environment is. Kids with an aptitude for
logic will thrive in any environment, and kids without will struggle.
I have found this inevitability quite depressing and frustrating!

On the other hand, teaching python to a group of "thrivers" is easier
than trying to teach them javascript. Less arcane and easier to read
and remember.

Beginners of any aptitude are easily motivated by something visual,
even just easygui.py. I might even say they are de-motivated by
anything not visual. I think this is a sign of the times, because
"thrivers" used to love learning pascal many years ago.

I hope this contributes something, even if not addressing your
questions head-on :)

nigel