Re: [tlug] Dying Monitor?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:26:03 +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:

> Try to locate and download any information on the monitor beforehand
> such as service/repair manuals, datasheets, how-to-open etc.

Watch the videos for how to get the bezel off.
One thing I forgot about is how to connect and disconnect
flat flexible cables. They are frail, so be gentle with them.
The connectors for them usually have sliding or rotating locks.
There are probably videos of such. Watch them.

> And as
> others suggested we might be dealing with badcaps, if you can find
> what values we'll need we can get them on-line beforehand

The values are listed on the Ebay auction I previously mentioned,
but the physical sizes are not listed. The physical size
(diameter and height) must not be bigger than the originals,
so you're pretty much stuck with taking it apart just to find
out what you need, then acquiring the replacement parts,
then soldering them in later.

Especially for the larger (>= 470 µF) caps, to get low ESR
caps from a good Japanese brand. Nichicon has a good
reputation. I have decades of good experience with
Digi-Key[1]. I know that Digi-Key will have the right stuff.

By the way, when I'm working on stuff, I take plenty of
pictures as I'm disassembling things. I take pictures of
how cables are plugged in, are how they are routed over
and under things. Once I have the circuit board out,
I take severl pictures of each part to replace, to show
the bulge, the values, and THE POLARITY. Be sure to put
the new cap in the same way. The pictures come in handy
for reassembly.

I expect you'll need a nut-driver for the video input
connectors, in addition to screwdrivers.

By the way, unsoldering and soldering caps on the single
layer boards, like most power supplies have, is easy.

Just to scare you, study tin whiskers[2].

[1] Digi-Key Corporation
    http://www.digikey.com/
    Click on link for Japan.

[2] http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2012-Panashchenko-IPC-Art-of-Metal-Whisker-Appreciation.pdf