Re: [tlug] Any way to make code running on a cloud service publicly verifiable?

To get what you are looking take the following approach:

1. Compute and sign the hash for each file in the source.
2. Include the signed hash in the source.
3. Package the source.
4. Compute and sign the hash for the package.
5. Make the signed hash available with the package.

At this point, you ONLY have generated trusted source code.  [Add a script
making it easier for a user to verify the files.]

The next step involves a third-party server that should do the following:

1. Get a fresh copy of the package and signed hash.
2. Verify the package.
3. Install the local package locally.
4. Fetch the file and associated hash from Cloud Provider.
5. Compare and verify hash files from the source and Cloud Provider.
6. Fetch the file, compute the hash, and verify.

Now we have ONLY verified files used at the Cloud Provider.  Should be
enough for most users to accept THE CODE is creditable.  But it does NOT
guarantee the Cloud Provider isn't doing anything between the application
and user.

Because the application is intended to be API driven, use that as another
verification step.  Do permeation testing by running scripts on a
third-party server and make API calls, then compare against expected
results.  You could even create API's to specifically verify the code.

This will get you most of the way there.  HOWEVERŠ  Without controlling your
own infrastructure, this is where verification (TRUST) runs against a brick
wall.

I see the integrity of public-key cryptography is your biggest risk, both
keys are theoretically available to the Cloud Provider.  In memory,
temporary files, mail queue, etc...

A bigger concern is using public-key cryptography on a Cloud Provider, there
is not way to insure the integrity of a random seed.  Theoretically it could
be compromised by logging /dev/random (urandom, PRNG, etc...), which could
allow another user of the Cloud Provider infrastructure to duplicate your
keys.

Sincerely,
Brian LaVallee