Re: [tlug] Any way to make code running on a cloud service publicly verifiable?

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Well, the obvious thing to do here is really just to make a tar archive
 > of the source you're going to upload and sign that.

Sure, that's the standard approach.  The potential problem is that now
the trusted provider has to authenticate the archive uploaded to the
secure AMI against your signature *and* against the version you've
published for users to audit.  If you don't make very many changes,
probably not a problem (except in your wallet, I'm sure they'll charge
you for this! ;-)

 > It's a lot simpler and a huge reduction in attack surface. Thinking
 > about it, the whole idea of invovling git (or any other RCS) at all
 > now seems bad to me.

Yeah, I thought about that.  I don't see how it's a reduction in
attack surface, though.  It's just a question of how reliable the
chained SHA1 is, but that's the only point of attack I can see.