Re: [tlug] (New to Tokyo) Where to find server/network equipment in Akihabara or anywhere within Tokyo?

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:33 AM, JP Loh <j.peterloh@example.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Tokyo. We're looking for server and network equipment for our
> rack in a Tokyo DC. Right now, we're specifically looking for mounting rack
> rails. My colleagues and I asked in Aisan but they don't sell it there. Is
> there a store in Akihabara dedicated to server/datacenter equipment? Would
> it be more logical for us to check Amazon?

I'm not too sure, but I thought the rails are specific to the server's
manufacturer.  Shouldn't you be asking IBM, Dell, or whoever you
purchased your server from?  (I presume you have a server you want to
mount but don't have the rails?)

I *think* how the rails mount on the rack is standardized, but how the
rails screw on to the server is not?  (I'm not sure...haven't actually
compared the rails between two different server manufacturers...
Someone correct me if I am wrong here!)

If you're looking for racks, I put "19インチラック" into Google and came up
with several manufacturers, including Sanwa and Elecom.  But I don't
think they would sell rails to you for the above reason...  Anyway, if
they won't sell directly to you, I suppose you can look at the
information on their site and ask them for a list of distributors.

Ray

PS:  Out of curiosity, I searched for racks on Amazon Japan, and they
do have it but they are acting in the middle between you and someone
else.  In a the few cases I clicked on, it looks like it was Sanwa...