Re: [tlug] GPL vs. paid version and ethics

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012, Attila Kinali wrote:

And the most important point all
of them miss is that programming is a craft, best taught from cratsman
to cratsfman.

I completely agree with your statement that programming is a craft. However, I don't understand why you keep saying things like "all of them fail to understand this", when that is demonstrably not true. As Steve noted, it only takes one counter example to disprove something, and I have offered you four! And here are some more:

37 Signals
Object Mentor
Fog Creek
Stack Exchange
Facebook (at least the team on which Jeff Beck works!)

You can certainly say "all of the companies I know about (here in Switzerland) fail to understand / implement best practices (as per my definition thereof)", which people can take at face value. But I think you are doing professional software teams quite a disservice by tarring them all with the same brush.

It may or may not matter to you that quite a few members of TLUG are employed as software developers, and may take umbrage at your remarks. I'm certainly trying hard not to be offended, and mostly succeeding. ;)

Cheers,
Josh

--
Cheers,