Re: [tlug] GPL vs. paid version and ethics

Darren Cook writes:

 > I can argue with you over a few of them, but only subjectively. However
 > "R is not S" I can give a more objective refutation: the last release of
 > S-PLUS was 2007 and the most notable feature was adding R package
 > compatibility.

So?  It's still *much* easier to teach statistics using any of the
major commercial packages than it is to use R, because they have more
powerful, more usable GUIs.  It may be that R serves statistics
hackers as well as S-PLUS does, but that's only one of the jobs that
S-PLUS does well.

The point is that there's more to software quality than just the
quality of the code itself.