Re: [tlug] GPL vs. paid version and ethics

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 13:07:02 +0200
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> > Why? Because most paid programmer groups i've seen so far [...]
> > have a project lead who tells them what to do, and they toil until they
> > have finished their task. Discussion between group members only
> > happen when interfaces need to be designed or when one is so much
> > stuck that he hasn't found a way out in days/weeks.
>
> My goodness, the places you've seen sound like terrible places to
> work. Luckily for professional software engineers, such places are no
> longer the norm. I've worked for four different software companies
> (and three different software teams at Amazon), and never had an
> experience such as you describe.

Yes. Of the software companies i've seen here in Switzerland, all
but one work the way i discribed. There is a reason why i work
as an electronics designer and not as a software engineer, although
90% of the time i'm writing software.

> Agile development may be a bit of a buzzword right now, and many
> companies implement agile practises without really getting the main
> point, but at least they tend to have daily standups, which eliminate
> the never talking to each other problem at the very least.

I've yet to see a company that implements agile software development.
I've only heard of one colleque who has worked in a company that used
pair programming regulary... and that was in the US.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin