Re: [tlug] ... Rant about Akihabara

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> It is kind of funny that T-Zone has closed down, given that
> Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera have succeeded.  So, it
> isn't like such a large superstore cannot succeed.

I've often wondered why T-Zone didn't succeed - and I haven't come up
with an answer, but I suppose their profit margin was too thin?

> For better or for worse, Akihabara has generalized itself,
> also.  The Atre at the JR station was a big surprise.  Now,
> they've also opened a bunch of Watami-like restaurants
> around the station, too.  It's going to look like any other
> station some day in the future!

Yeah - chain stores a real curse in that regard.  Everything
everywhere ends up being the same...

> Oh, and I looked up T-Zone's Japanese Wikipedia article and
> it has become the current location of AKB48's theatre:
> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Don_Quijote_Akihabara_Shop.JPG
>
> (Funny, but I remember the old T-Zone to be far wider in
> size.  :-) )

Me too - that look is probably due to the compression effect of a
telephoto lens.  A picture taken from up close with a wide-angle lens
would have the opposite effect.

Lyle