Re: [tlug] ... Rant about Akihabara

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>> Yodobashi Camera was called Yodobashi
>> *Camera* for a reason!  Their main business was focused on
>> photography!  Also, back then, basically Bic Camera was in Ikebukuro
>> and Yodobashi Camera was in Shinjuku and that was about it.  Since
>
> haha -- I see!  I'm not into photography that much so even back then,
> I don't think I would have noticed any store that just sold cameras.
> I didn't realize Bic and Yodobashi camera have been around for so
> long!

Yeah, I was into photography and video before I got into computers.
They were mainly a photography store, but even back then, they sold a
lot of other stuff - and they just kept expanding.  I don't remember
the exact year, but I think it was in the eighties that I used to
often see a TV advertisement emphasizing that Yodobashi Camera was
easy to get to via either the Yamanote Line or the Chuo Line.

> Wow...I've left Japan and I didn't realize all of this has happened.
> I saw the Yurakucho Sogo and the Ikebukuro MItsukoshi in its last
> days.  I wonder if the new company has any intention to hire staff
> from the companies that use to exist there.  If so, I suppose it would
> be understandable if the staff don't know what Linux is.  :-)

Now you mention it - it never occurred to me what happened to the old
Sogo staff, but whatever else they might have known, they wouldn't
have known much about computers!  It's gotten to the point where it
seems like the only place the classy/expensive department stores can
exist is on Chuo-dori in Ginza.

Lyle