Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Laptop Assistance Please + Rant about Akihabara

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:38:46PM +0900, Nigel Barker wrote:

> On 14 June 2012 20:41, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> > I've used rjtech, which seems to have something very similar to sytem
> > 76.  It looks, judging from the pictures on System 76's site that
> > they're using Clevo laptops, which is what rjtech uses.  The only issue
>
> I've bought a few Clevos over the years (from PC Koubou), either for
> myself or for school. I would say features have been short battery
> life and noisy fans.

The one I bought (I decided I deserved it) has 16GB of RAM and an i7
processor.  I'm not sure how much effect that has on battery life--it
seems to be about 3 hours, but I've never pushed it to the end.  It also
has an SSD.

I'm really not that much of a laptop user either, so, like you, I
haven't done very much with suspend or hibernate (save once by accident.
Doesn't hibernation require swap?  Being daring, I put no swap on this
figuring that for what I will be doing with it (little or no compiling)
I didn't need it. (I think I overly aggressively trimmed your email,
cutting out the part where you said you don't use suspend or hibernate.)

At any rate, I've never considered either of those too important for my
use, when I'm done, I turn it off.  Fan noise hasn't been an issue for
me, but I'm old, and might just not hear it.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6