[tlug] Unexpected source of linux cloud hosting

I just stumbled upon a surprising choice for cloud hosting of linux
machines. In particular the low-end. Previously Rackspace's 256MB memory
option has been the cheapest at around $10-12/month. [1]

But now I've found a major company who are offering 1GHz CPU, 768MB RAM,
25GB storage, 4GB outbound bandwidth (inbound is free), for $12.51/month
(about 1.5c/hr). About $2/month more than Rackspace, but 3 times the
memory, and 2.5 times the diskspace. (Rackspace equivalent is
$20-40/month; EC2 equivalent is $60/month.)

The initials (of the hosting service) is W.A. Have you guessed yet?

The company initials are M. C'mon you must have guessed by now ;-)

OK, my final clue. They dodged the current hot topic decision of which
open source cloud platform to go with (CloudStack vs. OpenStack) and
went with their own closed-source platform.

I updated my blog post on the subject, to add them:

http://darrendev.blogspot.jp/2012/04/ive-been-participating-in-hp-clouds.html

Darren

P.S. Not a personal recommendation, I've not tried them (yet). Data
centre appears to be in Chicago. I haven't tracked down linux
commandline tools for controlling instances yet (but, admittedly, I
haven't tried very hard).

[1]: http://darrendev.blogspot.jp/2011/11/actual-costs-rackspace-cloud.html