Re: [tlug] [OT] French cuisine

On Wed, 30 May 2012 20:27:56 +0900
Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:

> I've only been to London once, so take this story with a bowl of salty
> fat... All of my life I had heard that London and the UK in general
> had the worst food on the planet. So in the week I was there my wife
> and I purposefully tried to find a bad meal so we could truly
> experience London. We failed miserably. The toad in a hole at the
> dingy corner pub was great, the curry at the joint with dirty tables
> and an unwashed floor was superb, the Cornish pasty from some street
> vendor is brining drool to my lips as I type. All in all I would have
> to give food in London one star as it totally did not fit my
> expectations that it would be cruddy. Not having my expectations met
> makes London loose 4 stars ;-)

I had a quite different experience:
10 days in the outskirts of London. The only places to eat were two pubs,
a chinese, an indian and a turkish. I'm not a fan of indian food (too
much of a spice potpouri for my taste) and the chinese was.. edible
at best... The pubs... well, they were pubs...
In the end i ate every day at the turkish. After making clear that i
was turkish myself i got various dishes not on the menu in sizes that
were of turkish scale :-)

As for the places to eat in general: It's often the small and dirty
places that serve the best food. Hey, if they cannot attrackt customers
by their looks, they have to have something else to survive ;-)

			Attila Kinali
		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin