Re: [tlug] Top-posting (was: plonk [Re: Classes])

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Pietro Zuco <mailto@example.com> wrote:
This is a different topic: You may be in charge of the list, but what if 90%
of people don't agree on one single rule? Would you just ignore them because
you were elected in a "democratic" way (with no discussion about this topic)?
I don't complain, please understand... I will follow rules, whatever they are,
I like this list...

I agree with current rules I don't like the idea to have them changed for absolutely no reason.
Rules have to be changed when they don't apply to the current environment.
But this is not the case, the environment didn't change, we are using the same technology
and interface as 20 years ago! For this reason I don't see any real reason that justify the change of a rule
that is working fine since the beginning of TLUG.

This is just fine! But I won't agree when you say we are using the same technology than in 1992. This was mostly
usenet (for the lucky ones who had access to it, I guess a few of us - not me).

I think that Top-posting is not appropriate for TLUG.

Good. One vote!

Using Edward's words he makes perfectly sense:

    "I don't think anyone is saying that top-posting per say is bad just that
    its not appropriate with very few exceptions on the TLUG mailing lists.

    TLUG list are public, all subscriber receives all emails.  Those that
    aren't subscribed can view all emails in the archives.  If this was
    private correspondence then it might make sense having the history in
    every email because some of the recipients may not have been privy to
    the whole conversation but this is not the case."

I might just not agree with this! If I go on holidays, I won't look in 3 weeks archives,
one mail by one...
And newcomers won't find archives anyway... I just went to TLUG web site,
and there is no obvious link to the archive.

Again, I am not for top-posting. But there are arguments to discuss about it.
If *we* (small villages resisting - Asterix village!) to pretend we are right, against
everybody (including your family and friends), we should question-mark...
Is 1992 rule still the best one today? What are your children doing? They will make
the law after you (they started already), and this is all top-posting.

But we can keep "old fashion" (I will !) as long as we are alive, it won't last longer :-)

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.