Re: [tlug] Desktop alternatives

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:01:36 +0900
"Chris Worthington" <kurisu@example.com> wrote:

> >Same look and feel for all apps? That's what we have gtk and qt for.
>
> I just assumed you needed a desktop environment for this.

No, you don't. Qt and GTK provide the look and feel for applications.
Both have a configuration system that allows to change the look and feel.
Unfortunately, the GTK guys think it's not necessary to dokument this
configuration interface at all. Hence your only way is to use gnome-only
applications to configure the look and feel of GTK... Or read the source
of the gtk library to figure out what magic incantations you have to
put into your .gtkrc-2.0.

> >Everything controllable by key shortcuts? Gnome cannot do that.
>
> I do prefer keyboard shortcuts (I avoid the mouse wherever possible). Can
> you provide some examples of ones you use regularly that save time? I use a
> lot inside apps when I'm working but as you stated you can't really do that
> within Gnome itself.

Even managing windows is hardly possible. I find it a shame, that an old
and hardly maintained window manager like icewm beats all these new and
fancy windowmanagers that gnome and kde use in terms of configurability
and no-mouse-useage. Not too long ago, linux users have prided themselves
that they do not have to use the mouse for everything they do. It went so
far that in the german speaking world, windows users were called
"Mausschuppser" (mice pusher). These days... it's different....

> I'm learning a lot from this discussion so I appreciate your thoughts. I
> erroneously thought you needed an environment like KDE or Gnome to do a lot
> of this.

And we haven't written anything substantial yet ^^'

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin