Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Nava Whiteford <new@example.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Nava Whiteford <new@example.com> wrote:
>> At least, until someone develops bioinformatics software with SSDs in mind...
>
> Yes, I think about writing alignment software that more effectively uses SSDs quite often. Not sure how much advantage it would be at the moment.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if such software would be popular to users if that
was the only new feature.  But, it would be at least a journal article
... or a blog entry :-) to benchmark the advantages/disadvantages of
using an SSD, I think.

Throw in other ideas that have been bounced around the last two days,
even up to Edward's novel idea of a RAID of SSDs as scratch (which I
never would have thought of) and there would be enough people
interested in reading such an article/blog entry.  I think quite a few
bioinformatics labs would be happy to buy new hardware to make their
work faster by following a recipe; but they may be less inclined to
hire someone with Linux administration skills to investigate the
various possibilities available for them...

Ray