Re: [tlug] [OT] plonk [Re: Classes]

Andrew Holway writes:

 > I will however top post

Welcome to the moderation queue!  I hope that doesn't discourage you
from continuing to participate.

 > In some respects I do agree with previous comments about elitism. Most
 > Lugs and linux people in general are somewhat horrific in this respect
 > and are extremely cliquey towards noobs.

I've never noticed that LUGs or Linux people are elitist.  In fact,
they're very democratic: "If *I* could do it, so can *you*."[1]

What LUGs/Linux/OSS folks are intolerant of is laziness (even when
expressed as "I don't have time to learn anything"), know-nothing-ism,
and irresponsibility.

As for cliquiness towards n00bs, I don't really feel sorry for
people who think there's a justification for top-posting on a list
where top-posting is forbidden.[2]  Or who think that the folks who
gave us the kernel should spend time providing a price-zero Aqua
implementation.  They get the ijime they deserve (if they hang around
long enough ).  People who simply don't know how to type a command
line, OTOH, are generally given more help than they can handle.

Footnotes:
[1]  Elitism is the practice of assuming that competence is reserved
for the few, and thus justifying reserving power to them.

[2]  The clause "is forbidden" is necessary here.  I think that the
interlinear, well-trimmed style is better in general despite the
additional effort required.  Nevertheless, see
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Teach/IntroSES/socsys-2.html.