Re: [tlug] Desktop alternatives

> What happend to plain X11 without a desktop environment?

That kind of went out in 1991 or so, didn't it? :)
Actually, I ran X11 back in 2000 without a desktop environment. I can do
more with one though than without one.

>forgotten language. Not exactly how i would want to work if i'd have
a GUI taking care of things...

I like a mixture of both CLI and GUI. They both offer a lot. But that's what
makes Linux great; you don't have to have a "one size fits all" solution. If
you want to do everything from the CL, do it. If you want a mixture, do it.
The essence of freedom.

Basically, I used computers before GUI and since GUIs became the norm. Don't
make the assumption that just because someone uses Ubuntu (or window
environment) that they're a rookie. To be honest, I just like the look of
most Window environments better than generic X11 or some of the window
environments that came out when S-VHS was invented.

Again, that's what's so cool about Linux. Users have lots of choices and can
customize their environment to their liking. Pretty cool.