Re: [tlug] [OT] plonk [Re: Classes]

On 05/28/2012 07:28 AM, Chris Worthington wrote:
I'm thinking of ditching Ubuntu to go with Linux Mint for the desktop. I
don't care for Unity and I've heard Mint is the best alternative. Anybody
wanna chime in?

A lot of users at the last tech meeting kept touting Gentoo. I've only used
Gentoo a couple times. The one reason why I like Debian based distros is I
really like using apt-get for packages. Maybe someone can explain what they
like about Gentoo?

The package manager / build system is the best I have worked with so-fare. I usually make a point of creating packages for all software I install because it makes instillation more controlled and upgrading or uninstalling easier. rpm and debian packages, take me much longer to throw together and I usually find they tend to break more often.

Having a good build system allows me to make extreamly minimal system, with only the packages and features I need.

Edward