[tlug] Best Alternative to Unity

On Mon, 28 May 2012 07:28:00 +0900, "Chris Worthington" <kurisu@example.com> wrote:

> I don't care for Unity and I've heard Mint is the best alternative.

There is no best alternative for everyone. There are many
alternatives and what is best for one person might not be for
another person. Only you can determine for yourself what the
best (or good enough) alternative is.

I installed Ubuntu, then I installed Xubuntu on another partition,
then I installed all the Xubuntu packages in Ubuntu[1].
Now my default session under Ubuntu is Xubuntu/XFCE.
If I need something that Unity provides,
I can still choose it at the next login.
XFCE on Ubuntu is good enough for me.

Since you are considering abandoning Ubuntu, you don't have
much to lose. Trying XFCE on Ubuntu will use many of your
settings without reinstalling from scratch.

I forget when I last used Unity,
but I have not forgotten how much I loathe it.

[1] At a recent linux meeting, another user mentioned that there
    is a metapackage for installing XFCE stuff in Ubuntu.