Re: [tlug] [OT] plonk [Re: Classes]

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 09:05:35AM +0900, Chris Worthington wrote:

> That does sound cool, although I hate compiling from code. At least 10 years
> ago I tried compiling a number of packages from source but most things
> wouldn't compile because the author would conveniently neglect to mention a
> library or some other prerequisite file that I didn't have on my system. I
> imagine, though, installing Gentoo is more streamlined, though.

Yes, Daniel Robbins had previously worked on FreeBSD, and Gentoo's
portage is rather similar to FreeBSD's ports.  The way it works is that
you would choose your package, for example, firefox, then do something
like

emerge firefox

(I'm fairly sure that's the syntax, but if you get involved in Gentoo,
you'll find the docs are right there.)

Although there are sometimes broken ebuilds (their term for the makefile
that will do the work, generally, that emerge command will..

Check what else you need, then Fetch all  necessary tarballs
(those source files) including the dependencies, and compile all of
them, in proper order.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6