Re: [tlug] Issuses posed by code reuse

Attila Kinali writes:

 > But then how do you get those drive by contributors to actually
 > contribute without redoing all those patches yourself?

You mostly don't.  So what?  In my experience, the median drive-by
contributor is a net negative contributor (ie, value of added function
< cost of added bugs).  If they won't push their patch through the
process, the odds on it sucking go way up (for several reasons).

Also, I cheat.  I *do* redo some patches.  When the contribution
justifies it (I've split patches of 250,000 lines into coherent
chunks).

 > Unfortunately, most SMBs (and big companies too!) do not have any processes
 > for managing code. It's written, it works, it's ok, next project.

The point is not what "most companies" do, though.  (If most companies
did it right, he wouldn't have written a book about it!)