Re: [tlug] Classes

[ realized I sent this from the wrong address yesterday... ]

On 20/05/2012 13:01, Josh Glover wrote:

> Wow, TLUG has changed a lot in the 12 years I've been a member. I can
> only imagine how the charter members feel...

I've been here on and off for about 10-11 years now, mostly off due to
various constraints in real life over the past couple of years, but even
I have kind of shifted my attention in that time.

I guess a lot of it stems from the fact that I was self-employed back
then and had at least some spare time to devote to gaining a better
understanding of a GNU/Linux system and tailoring that system to my
specific needs. I did a lot of A/V work so spent some time getting to
grips with things like ffmpeg and the underlying libraries and keeping
them up to date. Plus I used a distro for which not much software was
packaged (slackware) so I had to compile most of what I used anyway.

Since then I've become lazy in a way. I'm now a wage-slave doing a job
that admittedly I do enjoy but that leaves me little spare time beyond
what I devote to the various social organisations[0][1] that I belong
to. I just want my boxen to work with minimum fuss and if I can get a
package up and running with a "sudo apt-get install whatever" then
that's great.

Given the opportunity to go back to a more source-based distro like
slackware or even gentoo, would I do it? Probably. I'd like to give
FreeBSD another go as well at some point, but not just yet. I'd like to
wait for some time off work for that so that I can take the time to do
it properly.

[0] - http://www.roundtable.co.uk
[1] - http://www.41club.org

--