Re: [tlug] Books

2012/5/18  <jep200404@example.com>:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:53:27 +0900, Nick Bikkal <ipod.bikkal@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm looking at a simpler level. I want to get a clearer
>> picture of Linux, how to work with files, what it is I'm looking at when
>> I see and extension, using commands such as sudo or something,
>> extensions, etc.

Here is a free/good programming guide for Linux system. Although it is
a little out-dated, it is still a good elementary reference if you
want to get into Linux system. You can get the concept of every
aspects of Linux.

http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/

For general command reference, you can get manpages.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/

Also, don't forget these two not-too-short guide for bash programming

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

> "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike
> is a good place to start.

This is a good book too. However, I think it is for experienced
programmers on the topic of general ideas of programming for Unix-like
system. It is might not be a good reference for beginners.

/Adam