Re: [tlug] looking for a job

Hi Laurent,

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 08:35 AM, Laurent K wrote:
Lewske Wada: I'm 30. I'm ready to do a lot of compromise,
but I'm a IT guy, cooking professionally is not an option.

At 30, I *think* you've passed the work-holiday age. (It may be 35...not sure.)

As for an IT job, perhaps like any other country, a Japanese employer has to explain (perhaps by just checking a box :-) ) to immigration why they need to hire you -- why there is no one else in the country that could fulfill the job position. That is fairly reasonable and not specific to Japan.

Of course, I think you should continue with the applications and try every means necessary [directly applying to a company, recruiting agency, etc.]. But you should leave other options open -- for example, going to Japan to study Japanese, martial arts, ikebana, etc.. (I recall there was a "cultural activities visa" once; maybe you should visit the nearest Japanese consulate and ask them about your non-IT-work options.)

Ray