Re: [tlug] Grateful

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Raymond Wan writes:
>
>  > And if you haven't already, you should install CUPS to make
>  > things easier on yourself.
>
> In my experience, CUPS is only usable when the driver issues are
> already sorted.  If they're not, CUPS is an obstacle to solving them.
> In particular, both Epson and Canon backends do crash on some PPDs,
> and when they do, CUPS is absolutely a hindrance in diagnosing and
> fixing the problems.

That's true.  Sometimes CUPS has the PPD file for the  printer that I
want to configure...that may not be because of CUPS, but a dependency
package that CUPS pulls in.  So, by "easy" I meant the PPD file being
already available within CUPS.

You're right...I've had a few stresses with CUPS and printer
configuration...I guess I had blocked out those memories.  :-)

Ray