[tlug] megaraid controller problem

Hello tlug, we run an old Dell PowerEdge server with gentoo in our department as not so important file server. It has two LSI MegaRAID controllers - lspci -nn

09:01.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID [1000:1960] (rev 01)
18:01.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID [1000:1960] (rev 01)

When I installed the system several years ago, just for fun and I managed to put storage together in a raid (quite easy with this type of hw raid) and manage disks with a "megamgr" utility. Thus all the time I have had two raids, one on each adapter. One of the raids is smaller since the machine has one disk slot free. Than for a long time there were absolutely no problems with disks, so I happily upgraded/updated the gentoo system without bothering about megaraid etc. However, now the situation has changed slightly (nothing critical) and I would like to add the last one disk (got cheap one from auction server). Unfortunately, megamgr does not run anymore and complains "No Adapters Found" "Press any key to exit". This is somewhat confusing, since I still see the raids mounted and working fine on /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1. I have found this site: http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSIMegaRAID#a2.Linuxkerneldrivers

which has some info, but is not so much of a troubleshooting guide.

Does anyone know what is the situation with these MegaRAID controllers? Can you please advise me what one could try to get some kind of raid management tool working? Last but not least - why I do see the storage mounted, while megamgr does not see the adapters? Best regards