Re: [tlug] New member

On 05/12/2012 12:56 PM, Nick Bikkal wrote:
Mario,

It was me (CL) but the mixup is okay. Top posting, like you and answering in line:

Thanks for the help. I'll go down the questions one at a time. As I said before I'm new to Linux and don't have all the technical know-how to be able to answer all your questions.

•. Options? I have USB ports. I have a DVD drive I can connect externally through a DVD plug.

Do you have an installation .iso copied to a CD or DVD? If so, Robert is your mother's brother. Just plug the drive in, drop in the disk and go.

•. Use talk of reinstalling an OS. Are we talking Winfows or Ubuntu?

Ubuntu. In my experience, the default for an Ubuntu install is to do a complete strip and reformat of the HDD.

Which brings up the issue of whether the HDD is being set up for dual boot, which your initial comments make me believe is "No, Ubuntu only." If you're not just running a single boot, let us know.

If you don't have an .iso burned somewhere, do you have another machine from which you can download and burn an .iso on to a blank CD / DVD or a USB drive?

•. USB1 or USB2 drive I don't know.

I'll stick my neck out and say "probably 2.0" but the existence of a port is a good sign. You have the install from USB drive option as well as the plug-in DVD. I have had a couple of incidents in which the plug-in drive was not properly recognized by the installer (probably a sign of a loose nut behind the plug, but I will not discount the opportunity to blame someone besides me).

•. I don't know how to use GRUB.

Once again "in my experience" ... when I have installed Kubuntu, the installation subroutines take care of the GRUB issues automatically. In my ignorance, I ask out loud "If you're installing a single OS do you need GRUB?" Frankly, it is one of those things that has just worked since about Kubuntu 6.x and I've forgotten how it works.

Pendrive is what I read on Ubuntu sites. I usually use the term USB. I'm AM native Hispanic but when dealing with computer stuff I use only English.

English is a language misunderstood all around the world ... ;-)

--
CL

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

Nick,

What downloading and installation options are available to you?

I'd look at reinstalling the OS first and making a more careful check
for the most appropriate image.

"Netbook" = "no CD/DVD"?  You have a USB 2.0 port?

There are a number of products appropriate to different devices and
installation options offered on the Ubuntu site.  You can choose a more
appropriate product there.  There are several notebook / netbook
specific options but I forget whether they are added after the first
boot or at initial install -- my ThinkPad had no trouble getting what it
needed, so I'm a little slow on this.

Do you currently have a way to download either a CD iso or a USB drive
installer image?  And do you have the necessary hardware to reinstall
it?  If not, do you have a way to retrieve an image file attached to a
mail from this site and to install it to a USB drive?

(Sorry, "pen drive" is a term I only hear from contacts who are native
speakers of Spanish and Italian and live in Southern European countries.
It is a mystery to me.)

--
CL