Re: [tlug] Provider Info

On 28 April 2012 17:56, Philipp Wollermann <philipp.wollermann@example.com> wrote:

> you may want to forget about AsahiNet, which I once thought of as a
> nice and customer-friendly (and TLUG-sponsoring) provider, as they
> throttle your connection down for ca. 24 hours to about 300 kbyte/sek
> if you download too much (as in > 30 GB). However, I'm not quite sure
> if there is any Japanese provider, that doesn't do that.

Just throttling you was quite generous of them. I have a friend using
NTT/OCN (chosen by his employer, who should have been in Japan long
enough to know better) and somehow uploaded over 30GB one day, and
they cut him off. We  persuaded them to reconnect him (he doesn't
speak Japanese and their English-language support people won't stoop
to dealing with bandwidth criminals), but they were really nasty and
rude about it.

BTW I've had a very good experience with J-Com (originally Tojo Cable
when I signed up, but they got taken over). They do a combined
internet + cable TV package. I haven't knowingly tested their
bandwidth limits, but I've never had any problems. I've also had an
effectively static IP - officially it's dynamic, but it didn't change
once in 5 years, and only then when I switched out my router. IIUC
they have their own cable, so there's no NTT anywhere in the stack. If
I wasn't in a J-Com area I think I'd be inclined to go with a cable TV
provider if at all possible, even if I didn't want cable TV. I don't
know if that matches other people's experiences.

--
Edmund Edgar
Avatar Classroom

ed@example.com